Friday, August 21, 2009

Did you see me dancing naked in Union Square Park?

Hi friends,
This has been quite a week for me! On Monday I had a great opportunity to choreograph and dance in the opening number for Tyra Banks premier show that will air September 8th.
Tyra had been taking dance class and said she loved my choreography so she asked if I would choreograph a number for her and 50 other dancers. Of course I said yes, although after I found out that at the end of the number she wanted all the dancers to strip down to bra and undies I began looking for a way to back out of the whole thing! Seriously, I was not interested in being in front of millions of viewers and hundreds of New Yorkers in my underwear.

I changed my mind when the producers of the show assumed I was going to be dancing front and center. Why I thought it was a good idea to be naked next to super model Tyra Banks anywhere, I am not sure, but I did say yes!

When the moment came to strip down and pose for the cameras and paparazzi I had to seriously get over myself and just do it. It was a strange moment. In that moment I had to drop, not only my clothes but my biggest fear, being naked in front of people I am not intimately involved with. If anyone would have asked me to do that a few years ago I would have said no way! Back then I would have most likely sabatoged the whole thing and not even taken the job.

It is so interesting to think about all the things we don't let ourselves do or have when we aren't happy in our body or with ourselves. I have certainly been in much better shape in the past then I am now but I don't think in the past I would have done it. I think why I was able to get over it and do it anyway was simply because, although I value being in shape, fit, committed to a healthy lifestyle, I don't think it defines me like I used to.

But a true confession be told, I did realize I am not in the shape I want to be in and I have been living with an extra 10lbs on my body for the past 4 weeks. It did get me inspired to drop the 10 and feel better.

So here are a few questions for you:
Where might you be holding yourself back and using your body as an excuse?
Are you comfortable with your body?
Would you be willing to dance in your underwear on national TV or in Union Square park?
Are you avoiding doing things like going to the beach, falling in love, being intimate, going on interviews or auditions, making new friends, going out, going to the gym or anything else because you are not happy in your own skin?

If you are not fully proud and happy with your body and it is holding you back here is what I suggest.

1. Drop the complaining about it and truly accept where you are. Complaining only keeps you stuck. You will never have the body you love by hating the one you have!
2. Remember, you cannot lose the weight in one day. Don't put off doing the things you want to do until you lose the weight. Do it now. Procrastinating never leads to accomplishment!
3. If being overweight is really weighing you down, lose the weight! Of course it will take some inner strength to do it but that strength you develop will impact your entire life.
4. And last but not least, dance around in your underwear even if it is in your own home with no one watching. It is interesting how for many even that is a challenge!

The big lesson is don't always try to be comfortable! Get out of your comfort zone as often as you can. We spend way to much time trying to avoid being uncomfortable, embarrassed or disappointed. Instead spend more time training yourself to be comfortable with the discomfort. You will notice many more opportunities opening up for you when you are opening yourself up to them.

Confidence is sexy. It is not about how much you weigh, if your abs are totally flat, or if you don't have cellulite on your thighs. There are very few people in the world that fit that list of so called 'perfection'. Do what you need to do to feel good in your skin. Live a life you love in a body you love! Don't wait!

If you want to see the Tyra show, it airs September 8th!

Love,
Patricia

The next eating with intention and awareness discussion is scheduled for Wednesday September 9th at 8:30pm ET. Please reserve at rsvp@intenSati.com.